Treatment for Mushroom Poisoning Developed in Santa Cruz

The most commonly implicated mushroom in poisonings in the western U.S. is the death cap (Amanita phalloides). Unfortunately, survivors have stated that it tastes quite good. Symptoms appear many hours after consumption and can severely damage the liver and kidneys, sometimes leading to death. The use of intravenous compounds from milk thistle seeds to treat mushroom poisoning was developed in Europe. This particular protocol was developed by Todd Mitchell, a doctor in Santa Cruz. He found that removing bile from the gall bladder prevented the amatoxins from recirculating into the bloodstream: